Monday, October 22, 2007

Cancelled Shows - Part Two

Bad news, we had to clip a few more shows off the tour on account of my hoarse voice. I'm very sorry. It's frustrating. The upside is that by taking more time off, I should heal up to be able to finish off the rest of the tour dates (including the soon to be released West Coast dates). And with meds, training, and a lot of rest, I should be back to 100% in the next couple of months.

I think a few people might be wondering "so why did your voice bug out?"

I'll try to answer that according to the vocal docs explanation...

Basically, the biggest issue is that we went from playing a handful of show dates in the Spring and Summer to diving right into a full time schedule in mid-August. Essentially, I wasn't vocally prepared for the jump. To compensate for my lack of vocal strength, I would do something called "yelling on pitch," which is basically what it sounds like... yelling on key with the songs. On top of that, I've been singing wrong, breathing wrong, not warming up, not cooling down, and a whole host of "singing no-no's" that led to this vocal exhaustion.

Some contributing issues include allergies and acid reflux at night.

Add it all up and we're lucky that I didn't develop something called "Vocal Cord Nodules" (which can be really devastating). The "damage" I have done is very temporary and easy to fix, but it requires a bit of time... and until I get that time this December, I need longer breaks between sets of shows.

The good news (other than having no permanent damage) is that I am getting the vocal training I need... so apparently, I'll actually start singing better than I have been. Which is very cool!

So that's the scoop! See ya on the road.

Joe
3CW

1 comments:

hannah said...

At least there's some good out of you voice going all wacky!

Hopefully the healing will go very quickly, and you'll be back to singing soon.